is a privately owned website that is not owned or operated by any state government agency.
Notice is not a consumer reporting agency as defined by the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), and does not assemble or evaluate information for the purpose of supplying consumer reports.

You understand that by clicking “I Agree” you consent to our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy agree not to use information provided by for any purpose under the FCRA, including to make determinations regarding an individual’s eligibility for personal credit, insurance, employment, or for tenant screening.

This website contains information collected from public and private resources. cannot confirm that information provided below is accurate or complete. Please use information provided by responsibly.

You understand that by clicking “I Agree”, will conduct only a preliminary people search of the information you provide and that a search of any records will only be conducted and made available after you register for an account or purchase a report.

North Dakota Court Records is not a consumer reporting agency as defined by the FCRA and does not provide consumer reports. All searches conducted on are subject to the Terms of Service and Privacy Notice.


What Are North Dakota Inmate Records?

Inmate records in North Dakota contain information about persons arrested and held in any state detention facility. These records serve as confirmation that the individual was arrested and convicted of a criminal offense. Inmate records are typically created by the facility where the inmate is held. Generally, North Dakota inmate records contain the following information on the inmate:

  • Full name
  • Date of birth
  • Current location, including the address and contact information
  • Estimated release date
  • Booking photograph
  • ID number
  • Details of charges
  • Sentence information
  • Parole details

Anyone may request and obtain copies of inmate records under the North Dakota Public Records Law. Interested persons are not required to offer a reason for the inmate record request. However, note that records containing sensitive or confidential information may be exempt from public disclosure.

Juvenile inmate records are also not accessible to the general public. Access to inmate records is strictly restricted to the following:

  • Judge and staff of a juvenile court
  • Parties to a juvenile court proceeding
  • Parent or guardian of the juvenile inmate
  • A private or public institution with supervisory or custody responsibilities over the juvenile
  • An employee or agent of the North Dakota Department of Human Services if investigating an individual working in a facility, home, or residence
  • The staff of a juvenile advocacy center

How To Find An Inmate In North Dakota?

The North Dakota Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (NDDOCR) is the agency responsible for the state’s detention facilities. The NDDOCR allows interested persons to find inmates in any of the state’s prisons, through its Resident Lookup search function. Requestors may find records by entering the offender’s last name or the starting letters of the last name. The search result displays a list of records that match the queried name. Each record contains the inmate’s full name, date of birth, and expected release date. The record also displays the correctional facility, including contact details such as a phone number and an address.

Requestors may also locate inmates in the state’s county jails. Several counties in North Dakota provide online access to records of inmates currently incarcerated in their facilities. For example, requestors may find an online list of inmates in Cass County Jail.

Each record shows the inmate’s name, date of birth, booking date and number, information about charges, and the inmate’s scheduled release date. Burleigh County also provides an online inmate search with the inmate’s full name and a booking date.

How To Find A Federal Inmate In North Dakota?

There is no federal prison in North Dakota. However, interested persons may find North Dakota federal inmates if transferred by authorities to prisons outside the state. The Federal Bureau of Prisons (BOP) allows public access to inmate records through its online inmate locator. Requestors may use this platform to search for federal inmates by number or by name.

Finding a federal inmate by number requires entering at least one of the following identification numbers:

  • BOP register number
  • District of Columbia Department of Corrections (DCDC) number
  • Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI) number
  • Immigration and Naturalization Services (INS) number

Persons may also search through the inmate locator using the offender’s first and last names. Other optional queries available on the name search include the inmate’s age, sex, and race. The online platform also displays the inmate’s location and release date if available. Note that the information available may be periodically reviewed under the First Step Act. Depending on several factors, including the inmate’s good conduct, estimated release dates may be reduced. Requestors are advised to check the database for any changes constantly.

The BOP’s database only includes inmate records dating back to 1982. Persons interested in older records may directly request this information from the National Archives Records Administration (NARA). The NARA archive for inmate records contains information from the following federal facilities:

  • Alcatraz Federal Penitentiary, California (1934 - 1963)
  • McNeil Island
  • Fort Smith, Arkansas (1866—1900)
  • United States Penitentiary, Leavenworth, Kansas (1895—1931)
  • Atlanta Federal Penitentiary (1902—1921)

To request an inmate record from the NARA, fill the contact form available on its website. Interested persons may also send a written request to the NARA by mail. Regardless of the contact method, requests must contain information about the desired record, including the following:

  • Inmate’s full name, initials, and aliases
  • Inmate’s ethnicity or race
  • Inmate’s birth date or approximate age during sentence
  • Sentence date or approximate date for the period the inmate was in custody

Send the above details and all other available information to:

The National Archives and Records Administration

8601 Adelphi Road

College Park, MD 20740–6001

Phone: (866) 272–6272

How Do I Find Inmate Records In North Dakota?

Physical copies of inmate records are obtainable from the North Dakota Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (NDDOCR). Interested persons may contact the NDDOCR with a written request for the record. Ensure that the request includes complete details of the inmate to assist the NDDOCR with finding the desired record. Note that requestors may be charged a copy fee.

Send the written request by mail to:

North Dakota Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation

Central Office

PO Box 1898

Bismarck, ND 58502–1898

Phone: (701) 328–6390

Fax: (701) 328–6651

If certain about the inmate’s location, send a written request directly to any of the following institutions:

North Dakota State Penitentiary

3100 Railroad Avenue

PO Box 5521

Bismarck, ND 58506–5521

Phone: (701) 328–6100

Fax: (701) 328–6640

Missouri River Correctional Center

1800 48th Avenue Southwest

PO Box 5521

Bismarck, ND 58506

Phone: (701) 328–9696

Fax: (701) 328–9690

James River Correctional Center

2521 Circle Drive

Jamestown, ND 58401

Phone: (701) 253–3660

Fax: (701) 253–3735

Dakota Women’s Correctional and Rehabilitation Center

440 McKenzie Street

New England, ND 58647

Phone: (701) 579–5100

Fax: (701) 579–5101

For records of inmates in county jails, contact the relevant North Dakota sheriff’s office. Note that the sheriff’s offices in charge of the county jails may also charge a fee to make these copies available.

Records that are considered public may be accessible from some third-party websites. These websites often make searching simpler, as they are not limited by geographic location, and search engines on these sites may help when starting a search for a specific or multiple records. To begin using such a search engine on a third-party or government website, interested parties usually must provide:

  • The name of the person involved in the record, unless said person is a juvenile
  • The location or assumed location of the record or person involved. This includes information such as the city, county, or state that the person resides in or was accused in

Third-party sites are independent of government sources and are not sponsored by these government agencies. Because of this, record availability on third-party sites may vary.

How To Put Money On Jail Inmates Book In North Dakota?

The North Dakota Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (NDDOCR) allows family and friends to fund an inmate’s commissary account. Depositors may send money to the inmate online, by phone, or via money order. Regardless of the chosen method, all depositors must provide information on the inmate, such as a full name, inmate number, and all other available information. Note that none of the state prisons accept cash deposits.

Online inmate deposits are powered by JPay, a third-party payment service. Making deposits through JPay require creating an account and posting the fund via a credit or debit card. Note that JPay may charge an additional transaction fee. Phone deposits are also possible by speaking with a live JPay agent available 24/7. Interested persons may call 800–574–5729.

Depositors may also walk into any MoneyGram location to send funds to the inmate using cash. Visit a location and use 1304 as the receive code.

Inmates may also receive funds via money orders, through JPay. To use this method, fill the Money Order Deposit Form, which is also available in Spanish. Completing the money order involves providing the inmate’s full name, ID number, and current institution. The form also requires the depositor’s full name, address, phone number, email address, and birth date. Note that all fields are required. Money orders with omitted or improperly completed fields will be returned to the depositor. The maximum amount for money order deposits is $999.99.

Several county jails allow depositors to send funds using the above JPay methods. Some counties, however, offer other options. For example, persons may send funds to Cass County inmates online via a third-party payment platform. Interested persons are advised to contact the county jails for information on deposits directly.

  • Criminal Records
  • Arrests Records
  • Warrants
  • Driving Violations
  • Inmate Records
  • Felonies
  • Misdemeanors
  • Bankruptcies
  • Tax & Property Liens
  • Civil Judgements
  • Federal Dockets
  • Probate Records
  • Marriage Records
  • Divorce Records
  • Death Records
  • Property Records
  • Asset Records
  • Business Ownership
  • Professional Licenses
  • And More!